Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sangria

I love a good Sangria. It's such a pretty color and the fruit floating around is a bonus. My friends and I had the BEST Sangria at this little Tapas Restaurant in Puerto Vallarta. It was a little party in your mouth, just the right amount of flavors going on, YUM! Although we did have a harder time maneuvering the steep stairs that led to and from the restaurant but that's not what we're talking about today.

Today it's about the perfect Sangria. I have searched for that recipe and tried making a few. I can't say I've ever made or had a "bad" Sangria but it is typically EXPENSIVE to make.

That leads me to my find of the summer. I had left the local swimming pool on a really HOT day and stopped off at the liquor store. I was looking around for a bottle of Sangria and finally asked the store manager what he recommended.

He showed me a few bottles in the $15 range and then said, "Do you want to know a secret"? "okkkkkkkkkk", I said

"I did a blind taste test with my family who are all wine drinkers and do you want to see what they picked"? "Absolutely", I said.

He held up this bottle...

"You have GOT to be kidding"? I said. Sidebar...Boones Farm is the liquor of teenage parties and even as a teenager a bit of a giggle.

He shook his head and promised that this $3.50 bottle of Sangria won over all the others in the store. So, I bought a bottle. I immediately tried it out on a friend. Of course disguised with some pretty fruit. I borrowed this photo from my friend Carmen because I love the container and will be finding one just like it for my house.

Anyway, she liked it. As have the 20 or so people I have tested it on who have all asked for the recipe or the brand. It's not the best Sangria you'll ever drink but for the price, it is better than decent. Give it a try. Hide it in a pretty container so you look like you worked really hard on it;)

2 comments:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Boones Farm! LOL! We used to drink Strawberry Hill. *gag* I actually made mine with red wine. I bought a box of wine for $11 and the fruit and also added Sprite. I think it was about $17 to make.

~mj~ said...

I was wondering about making it from wine. I bought some wine, in multiple bottles (don't ask) that I don't like, so I was thinking of making a sangria with it. I need the glass dispenser jar like Carmen too! :)