Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Hockey Skates


I was at the local hockey store this weekend getting my son's skates sharpened and I was watching and listening to this Dad and son who I am guessing was about 8, discuss and try on skates. My first clue should have been that they were not being helped by anyone from the store. But, in my defense, the store was busy and they were trying on sale skates which are self serve so they could have been missed.

They were on their 3rd pair and the boy said, "but these are a size bigger why do they feel tighter" and the Dad was getting frustrated and said, "well that doesn't make any sense".

I decided to share my knowledge. "Bauer skates run more narrow. The CCMs that he just had on have a wider toe box, might be why the Bauers feel tight". If looks could kill, I wouldn't be here to type this post. Wow?! Sorry that I'm a hockey Mom who pays attention to what the sales people tell me and am trying to help another parent out because I've been there, done that.

My son kind of brand jumped over the years depending on which ones he thought were "cool" or Mom liked the price. I didn't realize that there were real differences.

I have learned that the blade has to be stronger if they are going to skate inside and out if you want to keep a decent edge.

I have learned he needs his skates sharpened after skating outside.

I have learned that if his edge isn't sharpened correctly, he'll be on his butt on the ice.

I have learned that wax laces are the easiest for them to learn to tie their own skates and they stay tighter while skating.

I have learned that skates typically run 1 to 1 1/2 size smaller than their shoe size.

I have learned that you should listen to the sales guys and I also recommend shopping in a store for hockey when buying your skates.

I have learned that my son needs his skates to be heated up and molded on his foot or he'll get blisters for a month so that is another price break because not all skates can be heated up.

I have learned that I am paying at least $150 for skates when his foot grows and he is on at least his 12th pair of skates.

I have learned that he typically needs skates in October.

And, we learned with the last pair and the help of a salesman who was a hockey player with a foot like my son that Bauer skates would fit his foot best because he has a narrow foot and heel.

His stride was better on the ice, his balance better. It was truly amazing to see the difference on the ice. But, I guess I'll keep that knowledge to myself from now on.

Oh and the skates at the top of this post...those are not the ones my son got this time around although he would have LOVED to have them. Those skates are $799 ON SALE!

No comments: