Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Juicy Lucy

I have this weird thing that I do. I can taste a dish and figure out what's in it. I can't always re-create it, but I can usually come close to telling you what's in it.

My son knows this about me and he gave me the true test...the Juicy Lucy. I'm only kidding, the Juicy Lucy isn't hard to figure out the flavors of what's in it because it's a hamburger with cheese in the middle. HOT, molten cheese that will run down your face or your hands if you bite into it too soon.

The Juicy Lucy is pretty famous around these parts. We have a couple of restaurants that claim they make the best one. The Food Network even came out for a cook off. Mine didn't compare to those but it was a lot cheaper than the $5.95 they charge.

The trick is keeping the cheese inside while it cooks. Max requested and I gave it a try. We had decent success so I thought I would share.

We're going to make 4 burgers

1 lb Ground Sirloin or lean hamburger
1 t Salt
1 t Pepper
1 t Garlic Powder
1 t Onion Powder
4 slices American Cheese folded into fourths

Mix everything together except the cheese. Grab some beef and pat eight patties about the size of your palm and about 1/4 inch thick. Take one patty and put the slice of cheese you have folded in the center. Put another patty on top and seal it together. You want to make sure you have all the edges sealed, kind of pressing around the cheese square and the edges to make one burger. Put in a frying pan on low heat and cover. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, flip and repeat. Put on your bun, let it cool for a minute or two and take a gentle first bite so the cheese doesn't come squirting out.
Mix your beef with seasoning
Fold your cheese into fourths
Pat out your patty and put the cheese in the middle
Put another patty on top and seal the edges well
Put into the frying pan on low heat and cover
Put on your bun, notice we had a bit of leaking of the cheese on one burger, seal them up well
YUM, notice the cheese on the plate..Max took too big of a bite too soon and some of the cheese came out

No comments: