Search This Blog

Monday, September 27, 2010

Cherry Cheese Danish


Danish is one of my favorite things to eat. My daughter LOVES danish too. When I found this recipe, I couldn't wait to make them. That was a mistake because now I know how easy it is to have danish in your hands in 20 minutes.

And, I'm sorry about not having step by step instructions but my camera has a "lens error", whatever that means. And, typically when I make these, the above is what they look like.

However, the other night I had the softened cream cheese ready but I was tired, REALLY tired so I sprayed a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with an edge with a bit of cooking spray and spread the crescent roll dough across the pan. Make sure you seal all the little holes. I spread the cream cheese mixture on top and then the cherries and baked it for 15 minutes. Cool it off and cut into squares.

I will admit that it wasn't as pretty but sometimes tired wins over pretty. Claire tried it and I asked what she thought, she shoved the rest in her mouth and said, "can I have another piece"?

Ingredients
1 package (8 ounces) Cream Cheese~I use light, softened
1/4 C Sugar
2 T Flour
2 t grated Lemon Zest
1 T Lemon juice
1 t Vanilla
2 packages (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent-roll dough
3/4 of 21-ounce can cherry pie filling
1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Directions
1. In medium-size bowl, stir cream cheese, sugar, flour, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla with a wooden spoon until well blended and smooth.

2. Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll one package of the crescent-roll dough and separate dough into four rectangles. On a lightly floured work surface, cut each rectangle in half crosswise, making two squares. Pinch together any perforations or holes in dough, then stretch two opposite corners of each square slightly to lengthen the dough and form the flaps that will enclose the filling. Transfer to ungreased baking sheet.

3. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the cheese mixture diagonally onto center of each square, at a right angle to stretched corners. Top with about 1 tablespoon pie filling. Fold one of the flaps across mixture. Fold other flap across, overlapping first flap.

This step is optional, I typically skip it...Brush each Danish with egg-water mixture. Sprinkle with some of the almonds.

Continue making Danishes with remaining dough, cheese mixture and pie filling, including the second package of dough.

4. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I made a version of these once. Yes, they are YUMMY!