Search This Blog

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Max

13 years ago my life changed forever and I became a Mom for the first time. I had a wonderful pregnancy, no morning sickness, felt great and enjoyed every minute of it.

Max required me to eat a box of Milk Duds everyday while I was pregnant and lots of pie, cake and brownies. Not much of a sweet eater pre-pregnancy, I didn't know what to make of it, I just enjoyed it. I would eat a small amount of food to get to the dessert and there was ALWAYS dessert.

Max was due on my birthday but the doctor thought he was going to be LARGE and induced me the morning of September 9th. Wow, that wasn't pleasant for either one of us. I swore I could feel his little hands trying to hang on so he didn't have to enter the bright lights of Fairview Southdale.

At 9:40 p.m. I met Max for the first time. Turns out he wasn't all that big at 7lbs 15ozs, he just had a very large head:) He came into a room filled with love. His Dad, my Mom, Aunt, my two sisters and sister-in-law were all there to see him arrive. My Dad, nephew and brother just outside the room.

It was a whirlwind after that. His many firsts, all accomplished with ease. Walking at 11 months and oh so naughty as a toddler. I often say that he almost didn't have a sibling because he was SO naughty. But as naughty as he could be and did I mention that he could be REALLY naughty, he was just as sweet and lovable AND always moving. He wore overalls the first two years of his life because it was easier to catch and grab him when he was wearing them:) I have said MANY times, "love that kid to death but he EXHAUSTS me".

He was climbing out of his crib and onto my dining room table at 8 months, throwing spirals at just over a year, whacking baseballs and on ice skates at the age of 2 and playing on a hockey team by the age of 4. He started playing T-Ball at the age of 3, soccer at 4 and running 5Ks and triathlons by the ages of 8 and 9. Whatever he decides to try, he works hard until he is has it down and it usually doesn't take very long.

The kid who wanted to have a blue mohawk (and a red one) and didn't care what anyone thought or said. The kid who is sensitive, thoughtful of others and gave his hoodie to a little girl during a fire drill when he was in 2nd grade because she was cold. He doesn't exhaust me any longer, he amazes me.

Max is a jokester who has a sly smile. He has a quick, dry wit and a big tease, much to his sisters aggravation. He is still my snuggle bunny and even at 5'6" he snuggles up next to me on the couch or leans against me and I know that means he needs a hug and always gives me a kiss good night.

Just thinking about him turning 13 makes me teary. Where has the time gone?? And, then I look at him and see a glimpse of the man he is becoming and I swallow hard.

Birthdays at our house are all about you so today it's all about Max. Becoming a teenager is a big milestone..I get that, but I question is it bigger for the child or the parent?

Happy Birthday Max!! I LOVE YOU!


Never too big to be a kid He's an excellent pitcher

Making his little cousins laugh
Love the shades
Of course he found it cool when our tree blew over and had to climb it
Never one to care what anyone thinks
Highlight of the summer...being the Junior PA Announcer at the Twins Game
My handsome boy

3 comments:

RunningmamaNC said...

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday, Max!!!!!!!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

*sniff* What a great kid! Hope he has a fantastic day!

~mj~ said...

Oh how I love my future son-in-law! :) Happy birthday Max. Christol, I LOVED this post. Beautiful. :)