Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quick Curry

I have made curry only once before and it was a LONG process. It tasted good but I'm not big on LONG processes so I never made it again. I did however, recently buy some curry at the grocery store because a friend asked me to try to make something. Please note that I have LOTS of spices that I've bought and not used for exactly that reason, I wanted "to try" something but I always go back to my tried and true and forget they are in my spice cabinet.

Flash forward a few weeks and another friend posted on Facebook that she made Chicken Curry for dinner. Suddenly my tummy was needing curry. I looked around on the internet for an easy recipe. Found one that I changed up a bit because I didn't have everything it called for so I had to improvise but I was eating curry about 20 minutes later.

I had made a turkey breast in the crock pot the day before and had leftovers that I didn't know what to do with because it was a little dry for some reason. It needed a sauce, a curry sauce;)

I don't have play by play photos of this recipe because quite frankly, I didn't think it would work since it was going to be quick. It was easy enough that you don't need photos though.

First, start your water boiling for your instant Brown Rice. I didn't get fancy with the rice, brown rice is good for you and it works for this dish. By the time the rice is finished cooking, your curry will be ready too.

1 small Onion Chopped
3 cloves Garlic minced
1 small Red Pepper sliced into strips (you won't see this in the photo because I added it after the fact. I thought it needed something more)
3 T Olive Oil

On low heat saute your onions and garlic in Olive Oil. When the onions are softened a bit. Add

1 T Olive Oil
3 T Curry Powder
1/2 t Cinnamon
3/4 t Ginger ~ I would have preferred to use fresh but didn't have any
1 t Chili Paste or 1/2 t Cayenne Pepper or both

Stir this around a little bit so the flavors can mix together.

Carefully whisk in
1/4 C Sour Cream
1 can Coconut Milk
1 T Tomato Paste
Pinch or two of salt to your taste

Let the sauce simmer on low for a couple of minutes. Add some black, white or cayenne pepper to taste. The trick about pepper is they all offer something a little bit different. I try to layer different peppers as I cook. If you think it's spicy enough, stop and don't add more.

Toss in 2-3 C diced cooked Chicken or Turkey. Simmer another minute. Your rice should be done by now. Spoon the sauce and chicken over rice and serve.

Sauce

Add the chicken or Turkey...

Serve over rice

OH and guess what, Max tried a bite and liked it although he said it was too spicy..can't win them all.

No comments: