Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Frosted Mini Wheats

I mentioned a few days ago that one of the reasons I didn't have new recipes to post was because I made my children eat cold cereal for a week. That's right, I lost my mind one night after a LONG day at work. I had prepped dinner the night before, slow roasted ribs in case you're wondering and yes, the recipe will be posted later.

I came home on my lunch break to put them in the oven, made sides I knew they liked, all total a couple of hours of my time to make them something I know that they'll eat, did I mention it was about 90 degrees outside?? Guess what..they ate their bread and that was it!

Yeah, Mommy was NOT happy but I was calm. Calm scares my kids more than losing my mind, which they have also witnessed on more than one occasion but I like to keep them guessing.

So, I very calmly said when I saw their plates being carried in with a bite out of their ribs, "That's perfectly fine. You can eat cold cereal for dinner for a week and do NOT ask for anything after dinner because the answer will be NO".

"But Mom, we just weren't hungry for ribs tonight, they taste good", said my son while brushing bread crumbs from his shirt.

"Well...I'm just not in the mood to make dinner for the next 7 days. I'm sure cold cereal will taste good too".

Care to guess what the little beast found? The beast who doesn't like milk in his cereal because it makes it soggy? While at the grocery store he found this...
A cereal that is healthy. I said, "I will buy it but you will eat it regardless if you like it or not". I can't count how many boxes of other cereals I have thrown because it "tasted funny" and this one was healthy, fat chance he'd like it.

Well, he doesn't like it...he LOVES it. He ate two boxes during his 7 days of cereal for dinner. I thought my plan had backfired!! That he would be good eating cereal every night.

But when I made dinner on day 8, he ate everything on his plate, said thank you, told me how good it was and I even got a kiss;) I'll try to freeze that memory in my head, make it my little happy place, for the next time I make something he won't eat.

3 comments:

RunningmamaNC said...

Yep!!! My kids *love* Frosted Mini Wheats, too! Erin is most partial to the strawberry and blueberry ones and Owen is a sucker for the chocolate ones. I pack them in little ziplock snack baggies for their school snack, too.

Glad you got some appreciation & love when the week of cold cereal was up!!!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Good for you for sticking to your guns. That irritates me too when my kids don't eat what I make. I like Frosted Mini Wheats too but I've never tried any of the flavors.

Kinyama said...

great idea! Love your calm resolve.