Search This Blog

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Two houses, One Family

Two houses, one family has been our motto since my ex-husband and I separated. Craig and I had guidelines we tried to follow but the biggest thing we have continued to do is..."WE" are always there for our kids even though "WE" are no longer a couple.

"WE" attend every important event in their lives, "WE" sit together, "WE" share dinner at a restaurant or I host back at my house. "WE" take photos on every birthday together. "WE" share information, both parents are on the same page and provide a united front on big subjects and little ones too. "WE" have done all this because we didn't want our children to feel like they were missing something because their parents didn't share a home.

We've gotten compliments over the years from teachers about our children. Telling us, "that they would never suspect Claire and Max came from a divorced home". I asked what that meant and was told that divorced children are just different for different reasons. Some are needy, some are trying to keep the peace, some are working both parents for what they want. Our children don't do any of those things, our children talk about both parents equally and without hesitation.

We've gotten compliments from multiple parents from the sport teams are children are on. Telling us that they would never suspect we were divorced because we are so kind to each other and that we look like we actually like each other. I always laugh at that because Craig and I didn't get divorced because we didn't like each other, we had different ideas of what a marriage was and made the difficult decision that everyone would be happier if we no longer lived together. We gave each other two fabulous kids, why wouldn't we be kind to each other?

The ultimate compliment came the other night. Max needed a photo of his family for a class project. I know the drill with those and typically it's a photo of who lives in your house.

I said, "you can use the one we had taken at Christmas".

He said, "well that doesn't have Dad in it".

I quickly recovered and said, "yep, you're right. I'll find one for you".

It made me smile that we have instilled that sense of security. That we have managed to actually achieve Two Houses, One Family.

No comments: