Search This Blog

Friday, March 25, 2011

Cajun Orzo

I had planned to go out to dinner. Walked in the door to find out Max wasn't feeling well. Two minutes later, in walks Dylan. Dylan was STARVING so I told him to see what looked good to him in the fridge. I thought he'd pull out some eggs. Instead he handed me cocktail wienies and left over Orzo.

Sidebar for my friends that are wondering why I have cocktail wienies in my fridge...Claire wanted them.

"Really"?, I asked.

"Sounds good to me", he shrugged and left the kitchen.

I like cooking for Dylan, he'll eat almost anything and rarely does he say anything except thank you. If I ask what he thought, he is always honest, which I appreciate. Maybe it goes back to his toddler years when he and I used to sit and watch cooking shows on the Food Network and comment on preparation, presentation and how we thought it would taste. Yes, I admit...the poor kid didn't know who was on Nickelodeon but he recognized Bobby Flay and Emeril no problem.

At any rate, I took about 12 cocktail wienies and cut them in half both ways, the long skinny way to split them in half and cut them in half so the pieces would be bite size.

I had 1/2 of a red pepper in the fridge so I chopped that up.

Threw the wienies in the pan, meaty side down and pan fried them for about a couple of minutes. I added the peppers, 2 T butter and sprinkled with 1 t of Cajun seasoning and tossed that around for another minute or so. Next came a cup of cooked Orzo, another 1-2 t of Cajun seasoning, heated through and dinner was served.

He brought back an empty bowl a few minutes later and without prompting said, "that was good". :)

Too bad I didn't take any photos. I think you can handle it though. Just to recap, this is what you need:

12 cocktail wienies halved and halved
1/2 Red Pepper chopped
2 T Butter
2-3 t Cajun Seasoning
1 C Cooked Orzo

1 comment:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Interesting! I love when dinner comes together like that.