Search This Blog

Friday, March 4, 2011

Cranberry Bliss bars

I had some Craisins I needed to use up and went looking around for a recipe and found this on some copy cat website. They are supposed to be a copycat of Starbucks Cranberry Bliss bars. Since I don't drink coffee and haven't had the opportunity to try their bars, I went in blind.

I should further state that if a recipe has the word "bliss" in the title, it should contain chocolate but that's just me;) The word bliss to me makes for expectations. Expecations that mean I will put it in my mouth and think OMG!! These bars didn't do that but I did like them quite a bit. A woman at work who works part-time at Starbucks said they were very close to the ones they sell. And, it's one of Alanna's new favorites.

They have a dryer, cake like consistency. They have good flavor and I could see how you would like this with a cup of coffee.

What you'll need:

2 sticks of softened Butter
1/3 C Sugar
1 C packed Brown Sugar
3 Eggs
2 t Orange Extract
2 C Flour
1 1/2 t Baking Powder
1 t Ginger
3/4 C Craisins
3/4 C White Chocolate Chips

Beat Butter and sugars with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes until it's nice and creamy. Add the Eggs, Flour, Baking Powder, Extract and Ginger and mix until blended. Fold in Craisins and Chips.

Spread into a sprayed 15x10 pan. That's a cookie sheet with an edge in my house.

Bake at 350 for 18-25 minutes. I baked for 20 because the recipe said 20-25 and should have gone 18 minutes. Every oven is different so just check them starting at 18 please:)

Cool and frost.

Frosting:
2 T softened Butter
3 oz Cream Cheese
1 t Orange Extract
3 C Powdered Sugar
2 T Milk

Mix all together with your electric mixer and if it seems to thick, add another tablespoon of milk. You want a firmer frosting but not so thick that you can't spread it.

Now top with:
1/3 C chopped Craisins
Zest from one Orange
1/4 C White Chocolate melted

Sprinkle the craisins and orange zest on top.

Melt white chocolate, took 1 minute in my microwave. Take a fork and drizzle over the top.

Cool at least an hour.

Cut into 20 large bars and then cut diagonal so you have 40 triangle bars. Share with your friends.

Beat your butter and sugars together for 3 minutes
This is after you've added all the ingredients and folded in craisins and chips
Spread in sprayed pan
I would have liked to see these a little lighter but wasn't paying attention. 18 minutes would have been the ticket.
See how the frosting is just a little thick
Frost bars
Chop your craisins
Use the small side of the grater
You want to make sure you just get the orange off, don't go deep on the skin.
Sprinkle zest and craisins and drizzle white chocolate
Share with your friends:)

No comments: