Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lasik

This month is my 2 year anniversary of having Lasik surgery. I was basically blind without my contacts or glasses and had been considering Lasik since it came out years ago. BUT I was a chicken. The thought of surgery on my eyes, eyes I could see out of with contacts or glasses, well it made my stomach hurt to think about it.

What finally pushed me towards Lasik surgery is that I needed new glasses. I've never liked the way I looked in glasses. I knew I would have to pay more money to have the thinnest lenses possible made but they still weren't "thin". So, I made the appointment and found out I was a candidate. I did my research, I asked friends who had it done and almost everyone said the same thing, "Wish I had done it sooner. Best money I've ever spent".

I made the appointment to have it done and tried not to think about it. I had to wear my glasses for a week before the surgery to give my eyes a rest from contacts. I couldn't wear eye make up the day of surgery or for the week following. I needed to be able to sleep for 4 hours after the surgery and someone had to drive me home. I also needed to buy a bunch of eye drops. That was it.

The day of the surgery, I went to work, Kristen picked me up and drove me to the appointment. I was given a Valium and put in a massage chair to watch an after care movie while I waited.

A nurse brought me back to the surgery room and during the surgery there was a few seconds of uncomfortable pressure and a second where everything went black and my heart stopped. I immediately said, "EVERYTHING is black" and was assured that was normal and the light came back before their words finished. That might have been something they should have told me BEFORE it happened;) The entire procedure took about 5 minutes.

I walked out and could read signs that were blocks away!! I haven't been able to do that without glasses since I was in grade school!

I was sent home with some sexy sunglasses and goggles to wear while I slept. Imagine big bug style with a white elastic band that goes around your head and you're getting an idea of what those goggles looked like. I had to wear those goggles for a week while I slept because they didn't want me to accidentally rub my eye or have a pillow edge hit my eye while it healed.

Unfortunately, my dog had a barking fit and I didn't get to "sleep" the entire 4 hours but I kept my eyes closed for 4 because it did sting and lots of moisture was coming out if I tried to open them.

After the 4 hours, I got up, ate dinner and watched a little TV. My right eye felt fine and my left felt like it was tired. Imagine how your contacts feel when you're tired, kind of scratchy and dry. I used eye drops every time I thought about it for well over a month because I thought that would help with the healing.

I drove myself to the check up appointment the next morning and haven't had a problem since. The hardest part was walking through those doors to have the procedure done but I am SO glad that I did it.

Waking up and seeing the clock, not having to worry about getting water in my eyes at the pool, no more fears of losing a contact, the reasons are endless. I ditto what everyone said to me, "I wish I had done it YEARS ago".

2 comments:

RunningmamaNC said...

My 6 year LASIK anniversary was December 29th. You are absolutely right. It was the VERY best money I have every spent on myself!!!

Kimberly

K :) said...

Ok girls, you might just be motivating me to go in for another consultation. The one I had 6 years ago was not promising. My prescription is so bad they felt I would still need to wear glasses or contacts. Not what I was looking for. Hmmm...maybe another consult????