Search This Blog

Monday, December 20, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I make all the desserts for birthdays. This year Cody threw me something I had never made...Red Velvet. My nephew Dylan chimed in that I should put cream cheese in the middle to match the frosting. So, that's what I did and everyone LOVED the results.

The Cake
2 Eggs
1 C Oil
1 C Buttermilk
1 T Vinegar
2 t Vanilla
2 oz Red Food Coloring~thats two of those little bottles
2 1/2 C Flour
2 C Sugar
2 T Cocoa
1 t Salt
1 t Baking Soda

Mix wet ingredients with hand mixer. Add dry ingredients and mix until completely blended. Fill cupcakes liners about 2/3 full.

Cream Cheese Filling
1 brick of Cream Cheese~softened and I use low fat
1 C Sugar
1 Beaten Egg

Mix together and put about a tablespoon in the center of each cupcake. Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, check with a toothpick on the side of the cupcake to make sure they are done. This cake is pretty dense so they seemed to take longer than the average cupcake. Makes 32 cupcakes.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 brick Cream Cheese~softened, yep low fat
1 stick butter~softened
2 t Vanilla
4 C Powdered Sugar

Mix together, put in a frosting bag with a star tip and decorate OR simply frost the cupcakes with a knife.

I wanted these a little extra special since it was his 16th birthday so I melted a bag of white chocolate chips in the microwave for a minute. I spread out a piece of waxed paper, dipped a spoon in the melted chocolate and started making wavy lines, a C-O-D-Y and 1 6. When it dried..I stood them up in the cupcakes. The kids LOVED this little touch.
Ready for the oven
Waiting for frosting
Frosted with a star tip and cream cheese frosting
My white chocolate sculpture
Looks like a smiley face:)

No comments: