Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Happy Birthday Cody


My nephew Cody turns 16 today. It seems like yesterday that I was in the hospital room watching his Mom deliver him. Cody's Mom was a senior in High School when she had him and I was living at home for the first two years of his life so I got to come home and have an excited toddler jump into my arms. I got to pick him up from day care or school some days too.

Cody was an early talker, a very well spoken child. He chattered and asked questions about everything. A few of my favorite Cody days...

We were driving home when he wasn't quite 2 and he would point to a car and say, "that car is like Daddy's, only BLUE...yep, Loooooks like it". "That car is like Papa's, only GREEN...yep, Loooooooks like it". He did this ALL the way home for everyone he knew and the funny thing was, all the cars were the cars that someone drove only "insert color", lol.

We went to Disneyworld for his 2nd birthday and were sitting on a bus at Epcot waiting to go back to the hotel after a LONG day. The bus was full, everyone was sighing loudly wondering silently why we weren't leaving and out of the darkness, Cody's voice..."jeez what are we waiting for...Christmas"??

And, then there was Cody's obsession about anything and everything. He needed information, he would pick something and learn absolutely EVERYthing about it. Presidents, currency, staff at his school...which brings me to my final Cody story. I picked him up at school when he was 5. He sat on a bench in the office because he was a "pick up" kid. I walked in and they said, "You must be Christol. Your husband is Craig". I thought it was a weird way to greet me but said yes. Cody walked me around the office and at each person would give me the run down, "This is Jan, she is married to Steven. They have three kids, Chloe, Susan and Jill and her birthday is January 7". He knew this about all 6 people in the office.

Cody won the state level Geography Bee and was the representative from Minnesota a few years back in Washington DC. He is bright, he is an individual who doesn't care what others think and still asks lots of questions. He is an old soul. My Mom used to call him Cody Da Boo boo because of his last name but I just call him Boo:)

Happy Birthday Boo!!

1 comment:

~mj~ said...

There's just something about a sister's kid. How cool that you have been so involved in his life. Love your family's "village" mentality when it comes to raising your kids. Lucky!! :)