Search This Blog

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas

When I got divorced, it was agreed that on Christmas Day the kids went with their Dad. The kids left at noon and I didn't really know what to do with myself that first year. My sisters invited me over but it was their family celebration and I didn't want to invade their time.

I was invited to a "Misfit" Christmas party (everyone who didn't really have anywhere to be) at a friend's house and that was fun but it was one more thing to have to get ready for.

The next year, I invited a friend over and that was fine too but I had to "plan" what to serve.

So, the next year I started my own tradition. I HIT the couch! I stay in my pj's. I buy junk food and frozen pizza. I nap. I watch A Christmas Story over and over again on TBS. I nap. It is a completely guilt free day because everything is closed, there is nowhere to be, nothing that can get done.

I don't think anyone believes me that I am in HEAVEN that I get to eat Top the Tater and Spinach Dip as my lunch. I take down the tree in the evening and I eat more junk food.

And, anyone is welcome to come over, just know..that is the drill.

My nephews stopped over a couple of years ago to get away from the hustle of their family and they asked what there was to eat and I said, "whatever you can find" (not something you will hear out of my mouth to guests on any other day).

"HUH"? They said in unison.

"I'm off duty". They found a bag of cookies, leftover breakfast food and hit the couch with me;)

Traditions are what make you smile and hitting the couch and taking a day off does just that:)

Merry Christmas!!