Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Touch the car

Shoppping season is right around the corner. Frazzled parents, new drivers, out of towners are all going to be driving in your shopping mall parking lots so I thought I would share a rule I had with my kids to keep yours safe.

When you remove them from the car or they get out themselves. They HAVE to touch the car until their hand is in yours. They can move around the car BUT their hand always has to be touching it. They have to do it EVERYTIME you go somewhere so it becomes their routine.

The reason for that is because if they are touching the car, they cannot get far enough away from you to get hit. They cannot wander away. You know they are safe while you get the stroller out or grab your purse.

And, when they were old enough to understand, around 3, I stood them in front of a parked SUV and said, "Can you see the driver"?

They said, "No".

I said, "They can't see you either...touch the car".

Out of habit I think my kids still touch the car when they first get out;)

1 comment:

K :) said...

Christol, we do the same thing. Must be touching the car and have to wait for me to get their hand. Happy that Lily still holds my hand. :)