Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pumpkin Shortbread Dessert

I dug out one of my cookbooks that I kept in the purge from a few years back. Holidays with Taste of Home. I found this pumpkin dessert and since Pumpkin pie is not a "rule" at my house on Thanksgiving I am giving it a try. It was a HIT!

1 3/4 C Sugar
1 1/2 C Flour
1/2 C cold Butter chopped into pieces
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 can (29 ounces) Pumpkin
1 t Salt
1 t Cinnamon
1 t Ginger
1/2 t Cloves
2 cans Evaporated milk
Whipped cream and additional ground cinnamon, optional

In a bowl, combine 1/4 C sugar and flour; cut in butter (I chop the butter into small pieces and smash with a fork since I didn't have a pastry mixer) until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan.

In a bowl, combine the eggs, pumpkin, salt, spices and remaining sugar. Stir in milk. Pour over crust.

Bake at 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-55 minutes longer or until filling is set. Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight

This is what "coarse" crumbles looks like
Pat down the crust in a sprayed 13x9 pan
Make sure you beat the eggs before you add the other ingredients
Mix the milk in.
Pour pumpkin mixture over crust and put in a 425° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 50-55 minutes longer or until filling is set.

Out of the oven, I'm going to let it cool and serve tomorrow with whipped cream.
Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: