Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings

The weather is turning colder and I was in need of something comforting and warm. My Mom makes the best chicken and dumplings and I've never much paid attention to how she makes them, I just enjoyed them. I knew she used Bisquick and that was about it and when I called for the recipe, she said it was on the box, lol.

Well, the dumpling part is on the box but nothing else so I had to wing it since I didn't want to bug her again and I think it turned out pretty good.

Shopping list...

8 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
3 Chicken Breasts with skin and bone or 3-4 Cup diced cooked chicken
1-2 Potatoes
1/2 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 can Cream of Chicken soup..I use 98% fat free
2 cloves of Garlic minced
1/2 small onion chopped
1 stalk Celery chopped
Pepper
Salt
Garlic Powder
Bisquick
Milk

When I make sticky crockpot chicken, I save the broth and whatever chicken is left in the freezer so when I make this, I throw it in too. The flavor goes up a HUGE notch.

9 C of Water
8 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
3 Chicken Breasts with skin and bone
2 cloves of Garlic minced
1/2 small onion chopped
1 stalk Celery chopped
1 t Pepper
1/2 t Salt
1 t Garlic Powder

Put all of this in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Boil chicken for about 25 minutes until it is cooked through. Remove chicken to cool and turn broth off. When chicken is cool enough to shred, pull it apart with a fork.

Now you'll need:
2 C Bisquick
2/3 C Milk

Mix this up to get all the lumps out. The dough is going to be a little sticky.

Bring broth back to a boil. Add chicken, 1/2 bag of frozen mixed vegetables, 1 potato chopped a bit thicker, can of Cream Soup, I used 98% fat free chicken. Now you are going to take a spoon, tablespoon size and drop some of the dough into the boiling broth. Continue until all the dough is gone and don't stack the dumplings on top of each other, give them their own space. Turn the heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes. Cover and cook another 10 minutes.

Chop your potato a little thicker
Shred chicken with a fork
Drop by spoonfuls into boiling broth
Reduce heat. Uncovered for 10 minutes
Cover for 10 more minutes
Little bit of comfort in a bowl

No comments: