Search This Blog

Monday, November 22, 2010

Almost No Knead Dinner Rolls

I got this recipe from the PioneerWomanCooks website. She calls them "No Knead Dinner Rolls". I had to knead them a little bit, but only a little. Maybe my bowl wasn't big enough??

Also, let me say...I'm scared of yeast. I've had BAD luck with yeast but this recipe is pretty fool proof in regard to the yeast. Give it a try because the rolls are really buttery (which is strange because they don't have any butter in them) and good. It's a nice addition to your Thanksgiving dinner table.

4 C Milk
1 C Sugar
1 C Vegetable Oil
9 C Flour
2 packages (4 1/2 Tsp.) Active Dry Yeast
1 t (heaping) Baking Powder
1 t (scant) Baking Soda
2 T Salt

Pour 4 C of milk into your soup pot. Add one cup of sugar and 1 cup of vegetable oil. Stir to combine. Now, turn the burner on medium to medium-low and “scald” (that means don't bring to a boil) the mixture/lukewarm.

Before the mixture boils, turn off the heat. Walk away and allow this mixture to cool to warm/lukewarm. The mixture will need to be warm enough to be a hospitable environment for the yeast, but not so hot that it kills the yeast and makes it inactive. I don’t usually use a thermometer, so I did what Pioneer Woman said and felt the side of the pan with the palm of my hand. If it’s hot at all, I wait another 20 minutes or so. The pan should feel comfortably warm.

When the mixture is the right temperature add in 4 C flour and 2 packages of (4-1/2 teaspoons) of active dry yeast. Give it a good mix, add another 4 cups of flour. Mix together and allow to sit, covered with a tea towel or lid, for an hour. After about an hour it should have almost doubled in size. If it hasn’t changed much, put it in a warm (but turned off ) oven for 45 minutes or so. When it had risen sufficiently add 1 more C of flour, 1 heaping t of baking powder, 1 scant t of baking soda and 2 T of salt. She said "stir", I needed to "knead" until combined.

Butter 2 muffin pans. Form the rolls by pinching off a walnut sized piece of dough and rolling it into a little ball. Repeat and tuck three balls of dough into each buttered muffin cup. Continue until pan is full. Cover and allow to rise for about 1 to 2 hours. I had enough dough to also roll a small ball and put in my deep dish pizza pan. I believe I got 48 rolls out of this recipe.

Bake in a 400-degree oven until golden brown, about 17 to 20 minutes. I ran a stick of butter over the top when they came out, just because;)

Remember flour first and then yeast and then mix
all mixed and ready to rest
risen and ready for the next step
This is what heaping looks like
I needed to "knead" to get all the flour incorporated. Perhaps a larger bowl would have alleviated that.
There we go, all ready to make our rolls
Ready for the oven after rising about an hour
YUM

No comments: