Search This Blog

Monday, November 29, 2010

Greek Chili

Always looking for crock pot recipes as you know and this one didn't disappoint. It was a little more picky than I like my crock pot recipes but it was worth the trouble.

I copied this out of some magazine while at the Doctor's office...perhaps Family Circle?? I can't say this is the exact recipe, back of my checkbook was all I had to write on and poor penmanship play a role...but I liked the end result.

I ignored the "low sodium" chicken broth and that was a mistake. It was a little too salty with regular chicken broth. So do as I say and not as I did because this chili is worth trying. Everyone who tried it, LOVED it...salt and all.

What you'll need:

1 lb Skinless Chicken Breast
2 Cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Can Fire Roasted Tomatoes
3 T Greek Seasoning
2 t Paprika
1 Can LOW sodium Chicken Broth~I think I might go 3 C next time
1 C Water
2 Zucchini~cut into pieces
1/2 Red Onion sliced
1 Fennel Bulb, trimmed and sliced
3 cloves Garlic minced
2 T Olive Oil
2 T Lemon Juice
1 t Oregano~called for 1 T of Fresh, I forgot to get it at the store

Mix tomatoes, chicken broth, water, 1 T Greek Seasoning and paprika. Add Beans and Chicken Breasts (I used frozen) and sprinkle with another Tablespoon of Greek seasoning. Cook on low for 6 hours. Remove chicken, shred and put back into chili.

I did this the last hour the chili was cooking but you could do this at any point. Mix sliced zucchini, onion, fennel and garlic with lemon juice, olive oil and 1 T Greek seasoning. Roast for about 30-40 minutes at 425. Add to chili. Heat through and serve with some Feta Cheese sprinkled on top.


Chop zucchini
This is what fennel looks like, lop off the top
Remove core
Slice the fennel
Slice half an onion
Remove the chicken from crock pot, let it cool and shred
Roasted and ready to go in the crock pot
Sprinkle with Feta Cheese and serve

No comments: