Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Waffles

Let me say again that I am not a gadget person. No fuss, no muss when it comes to cooking is my motto. You can usually make anything work to some degree with a frying pan or a cake pan. Anything except waffles.

I grew up on Eggos, Eggos have come light years from when I was a kid. I remember them being hard and kind of dry, could be that I didn't toast them right?? Even syrup in every little square didn't help. My Mom didn't like breakfast food so although she is a fabulous cook, she rarely made it. My Dad's idea of breakfast was bacon cooked on high, throw a couple of eggs in the dirty bacon grease with the heat still on high and breakfast was served..he was good at many things, cooking was not one of them. My stomach hurts thinking about it and the visual...not so much. So, the world of "breakfast" was something that I discovered as a teenager when I became friends with Julie and Alanna. Their parents took us out for breakfast. Who knew there were so many possibilities, I love breakfast. It is one of my favorite meals to eat out. So when I found this waffle recipe and tweaked it a bit, well I was excited that I could make them at home. They fit my remake it often criteria...my kids ask for them, they are easy and the are YUMMY! Go buy yourself a waffle maker already!!

Waffles
2 Eggs
1 3/4 C Milk ~ I use Skim because that's what in the house
1 stick melted butter ~ you can use 1/2 C oil but they aren't as yummy
2 t Vanilla
2 C Flour
1/3 C Sugar
4 t Baking Powder
1/4 t Salt
Whisk the wet ingredients, dump in the dry and you are ready to go.

Here's the wet ingredients, give it a whisk until it all becomes one.

The batter after you've mixed in the dry ingredients well. Remember to measure your flour correctly..see the chocolate chip cookie recipe if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Make sure you heat your waffle iron up closed. When the timer goes off, open and pour your batter in. Mine uses a bit over a 1/3 C of batter but each iron is different so read the directions on yours. Close the lid and wait for the beep. You can't mess up cooking time with waffles. The iron does all the work.

Here is the true beauty of making them. You can add fresh or frozen blueberries or any kind of berry for those that like them. Or throw some chocolate chips in there. Everyone can have them the way they like them. If you are making ones with berries or chips, makes those after the plain ones are done or you'll have a bit of residue on the first plain one you make after an altered one and if you have kids like mine..they will freak.

Ta Da! You'll notice mine are 1-2-3 and not squares, the flip side is A-B-C. I got this waffle maker when my nephew was little and I thought it was just the cutest thing. Educational and nutritional;) Waffles are done, pass the syrup and enjoy.

1 comment:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I made waffles the other day but I used the oil. They were really good but I bet they'd be even better with butter. I'll try that next time.