Search This Blog

Monday, January 11, 2010

Chicken Stuffing Casserole

I was going to change it up and give you a new cookie to try. It was a new cookie for me too and they were NASTY. So, I'll bring you a dessert later this week.

I had this casserole, we call them hot dish in Minnesota;), when a dear friend brought it after my Dad died. I hadn't had anything to eat for a couple of days and this casserole was complete comfort to me. I never asked for her recipe but found one that I think is close. I made it last week for dinner because last week wasn't a good one and I needed some comfort. This is the ultimate comfort food in my opinion and it only took a few minutes to prepare.

Chicken & Stuffing Casserole
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
2 cans cream soup (I used 98% fat free Cream of Celery and Cream of Chicken because that's what I had in the house)
16 ozs Sour Cream (I used light)
16 oz box of Stuffing Mix
1/2 C Butter
1 C Chicken Broth

Mix chicken, soup and sour cream.
Spread in 13x9 cake pan sprayed with cooking spray
Top with Stuffing Mix
Melt Butter and mix with Chicken Broth
Drizzle over top of stuffing mix
Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes until golden brown.
Here's your ingredients.
I boiled my chicken breast with chicken bouillon, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Takes about 30 minutes once it gets to boiling.
I forgot to take a photo of the chopped chicken, sorry. But just chop in bite size pieces. This is what it looks like after you've mixed the sour cream and soups. I also added a cup of frozen corn so I wouldn't have to make it on the side. Spread in the pan.
Top with stuffing mix.
Measure a cup of water into glass measuring cup, add 1 chicken bouillon cube. Microwave on high 1 minute, break up bouillon. Add 1 stick of butter that you cut into chunks. Microwave another minute or until butter is melted. Give it a stir and pour over the stuffing mix. You can stop at this point, cover with foil and throw in the fridge until you want to make it. I'd add a little baking time if you do this.
Dinner is served!

2 comments:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

YUM! I have made this before but I don't think it was this exact recipe. I will have to try this one. I also make one with pork chops and stuffing that is great!

Unknown said...

I think I'll make this for dinner tomorrow. thanks!