Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Asian Beef Soup

My friend Elizabeth created this yummy soup. It's become one of my favorites and I make it quite often. It's not really brothy like a soup, but it's still soup like.

So, remember the crock pot beef I made, well I use that for the base. I'll throw whatever amount is leftover into a bowl and put in the freezer. When I get enough, I make the soup. If you don't have leftover beef, I've included how to start this from scratch in the recipe directions. I'll then show you how I made it.

1 1/2 lbs of chuck steak or round steak cut into bite size pieces
2 50 oz cans of beef broth
2 T Oil
2 t crushed Red Pepper flakes
1 t minced garlic
2 inches of ginger root, peeled and cut into thin matchlike pieces
1 med head of bok choy lettuce, cut into bite size pieces
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 lb thin spaghetti or angel hair pasta
4 scallions sliced into pieces

Sere the beef in a pan, add one 50 oz can of beef broth. Place in 350 oven covered for about an hour or two to cook the beef so it's fall apart tender.

Heat a medium soup kettle and add oil, pepper flakes, garlic, ginger, bok choy and salt and pepper to taste. Add one 50 oz can of beef broth and the meat with it's broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Add pasta and scallions, cook 2 minutes. Turn the heat off and let it sit covered another couple of minutes.
This is what fresh ginger root looks like. You can find it by the vegetables and just break off the 2 inches you want to buy.
Here is what bok choy looks like, find it by the cabbage. Cut off base and throw away. Wash thoroughly.
Here is the ginger; peeled and sliced thin.
Here is the bok choy chopped up.
Put the oil, pepper flakes, garlic, ginger and bok choy in your soup kettle, season with salt and pepper to taste. I also threw in a handful of spinach since I had it in the fridge.
I'm not a can stock buyer so I used 6 cups of water and 6 beef bouillon cubes. Pour into pan. Throw in about 2 lbs leftover meat. Give the soup a stir, cover and bring to a boil.
Chop your scallions. You are using the whole thing, minus the little hairy part on the ends. Also break your pasta into thirds and throw in. Give it a good stir so the pasta doesn't stick together. Cook 2 minutes, remove from heat, cover for another two and serve.
Dinner is served!

No comments: