Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Oven Pancakes

I put together an Alumni Cookbook a few years ago as a fundraiser for the High School I graduated from. Apple Pancakes came from one of the girls I used to dance with and I had to give them a try right away. We make them probably once a month during the winter months because my daughter LOVES them. I call them Oven Pancakes now because my son doesn't eat cooked apples. They also like to see them all puffed up in the oven while they are cooking.

The nice thing about these are you can use any fruit you want or leave them plain and they are still a tasty and easy breakfast.

Oven Pancakes
4 T Butter
4 Eggs
3/4 C Milk
3/4 C Flour
1/2 t Salt
2 Apples peeled and thinly sliced ~ optional
Handful of berries ~ optional
1/4 C Sugar
1/4 t Cinnamon

Heat oven to 400. Place 2 T of butter in a 9 inch pan, you'll need two pans. Melt butter in heated oven. Remove pans, swirl melted butter, spray edges with cooking spray. Arrange apple slices or berries in bottom of pan.

Mix Eggs and Milk. Add flour and salt. Combine well. Divide batter evenly and pour over fruit.

Mix Cinnamon and Sugar. Sprinkle half the mixture over each pan. Bake 20-25 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve immediately with butter and/or syrup.
Here's your ingredients.
I opted to use four 6" pans with 1 T of butter per pan so everyone could have their own flavor.
Whisk your wet ingredients. After they are mixed well, dump in flour and salt and whisk again. The batter is pretty runny, not like your typical pancake batter.
Pick your pleasure. We have two plain, one with blueberries and one with apples.
Divide your batter and sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar mixture. I decided after I took the photo to have apples and blueberries and threw a few in..that's why the photo doesn't match;)
Here they are puffed and almost finished in the oven.
Remove from oven, loosen with a spatula and transfer to plate.
Breakfast is served! Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Marie said...

At our house we call them "puff pancakes" and I make them in an iron skillet. They are REALLY good with strawberries!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

We call them German Pancakes here and I have never made them with any type of fruit. I think I need to try it with apples. Tomorrow maybe. Yum!

K :) said...

yum!!! those look so delish. i love the idea of the single portions. need to try this one.