Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Guinness Chocolate Cake

I wanted to try a new cake and found this one here. It was a very dense chocolate cake that had a twist of flavor different from a traditional Devil's Food.

I only did a half recipe because I made it in a 13x9 cake pan. I think I would use a bundt pan next time just because of how dense it was. And, you know me..I only half follow directions. I try a little bit harder when it's baking so here's my best effort.

Here is the recipe I used:

1 C Guinness Stout Beer
1 C Butter
1 1/2 C Cocoa Powder

2 C All Purpose Flour
2 C Sugar
1 1/2 t Baking Soda
3/4 t Salt
2 Eggs
2/3 C Sour Cream ~ I used light

Bring the beer, butter and cocoa to a simmer over medium heat. Use a whisk to keep the mixture moving and smooth. Cool slightly.

Pour mixture into a bowl and add eggs and sour cream. Beat with mixers until combined. Add dry ingredients and beat briefly on slow speed until barely combined. Use a spatula to fold (stir) the batter until it's completely incorporated.

Spray a 13x9 pan, pour batter into pan and cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and flip onto your favorite serving dish and frost.

It called for a cream cheese frosting but I used my new favorite frosting and added 2 T Cocoa, it was delish!

Cooked Frosting
5 T Flour
1 C Milk
1 t Vanilla
1 C Butter
1 C Granulated Sugar (not Powdered Sugar!)

In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens, looks like pudding when it thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature. Stir in vanilla.

While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter and sugar together with your mixer until light and fluffy~you can't cream too much, you want the sugar to basically dissolve into the butter. The longer you beat it, the better they mix. Then add the cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and beat until it all combines and resembles whipped cream. Now add 2 T of cocoa and whip until combined...HEAVEN, pure heaven I tell ya:)

I didn't take many photos. I don't know why. Maybe it's because mixing a cake all pretty much looks the same?? Anyway, I think the written directions should get you through.

You can usually buy just one Guinness, ask you liquor store.
Shiny chocolate mixture
Ta da
AND...my final part of this cake. I brought this into work for my friend Jessica. While getting into the building I DROPPED the cake. Yes, upside down in the container. The pretty cake was destroyed and Jessica got a trifle (broken cake with frosting in a container) instead of this lovely cake.

1 comment:

Anna said...

That sounds really yummy and the cake is absolutely beautiful Christol! What a BUMMER that it dropped! :( Good thing you got a picture of it to show your friend at least! :)