Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Army Tank Cake

My niece Maddy wanted a Tank Cake and I wasn't one to disappoint. I looked on line and got a general idea and gave it my best.

I made this cake before I was blogging but I think I can walk you through it and since today is her birthday I thought today was a perfect day to do that. I made a 13x9 cake and another cake in a loaf pan. I colored the batter with two different colors of green so the inside was also camo.

After you've made the cakes according to directions, testing to make sure the cake is done...especially important with the loaf pan. To test the cake, stick a skewer into the middle, if it comes out without any batter, your cake is done. Cool for about 10 minutes and invert on to a cookie sheet. You'll need one cookie sheet for each cake.

Cool cakes completely. Trim the front. To do that you are going to cut around the edges, curving the front. You don't have to cut a lot of cake off. Do the same to the loaf pan. Frost you cake. I used my buttercream frosting.

Frosting the cut part can be a little tricky, so take some frosting that you've thinned with milk and skim over the cut edges. Let that set for a few minutes and then proceed with frosting the main cake. Put the loaf pan cake on top and repeat process.

I used two different colors, frosting with the main color of green and then kind of just blobbed the camo design on.

For the tracks, I used black licorice that I cut in half lenghwise and in half to cut the thickness. The "wheels" are halved Oreos. The barrel of the gun was one of Max's toys. You know those pirate scope things, that's what it was. Popped an army guy in the top and put another halved oreo behind him for the hatch.

More frosting in front with crushed oreos on top and some army guys protecting the tank. She LOVED it!




Happy Birthday Madison!!

No comments: