Search This Blog

Monday, April 1, 2013

Ham Bone Soup

What are you going to do with the ham bone from dinner?!  I don't like peas so that means that I REALLY don't like split pea soup, a common soup to make with your ham bone.  Or we have just plain old bean soup, another one that's not my favorite.  So, I made this soup a couple of years ago and a few times since.  The original had dry black beans in case you want to go that route.   It's a yummy soup and it freezes well. 

What you'll need:

6 quart slow cooker

3 Cans Black Beans rinsed
6 C water
Ham bone ~ my ham was a 7 lb ham and there was still quite a bit of meat on it
1 Red Bell Pepper~chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper~chopped
1 Jalapeno Pepper~minced..I left in half the seeds for heat
1 Anaheim Pepper~minced ~ I left in all the seeds
2 Chipolte Peppers~minced I bought a can and used 2
1 Red Onion~chopped
2 cans Diced Tomatoes with Green Chilis
2 C Salsa ~ I used Medium
1 t Chili Powder
6 cloves Garlic~minced
1 t Kosher Salt
1/4 t Pepper

Place the ham bone in the crockpot. Add the beans and everything else on top except salt and pepper. Cover with water and cook on low for 10-12 hours.

Remove the ham bone, shred the ham that fell off the bone, nothing was left on my ham bone after that long.

I also want to explain the difference between chop and mince. Chop means a small size that you can bite, mince means small enough that you can barely detect it. When recipes call for mince, I use my mini food processor and give it a whirl.
Ham Bone
Chopped green and red
Anaheim pepper is the larger of the two
Can of Chipotle Peppers I bought
Ready to crock

Yum!

No comments: