Search This Blog

Friday, March 29, 2013

Deviled Eggs

I'm guessing over the next couple of days, you are going to have some hard boiled eggs you don't know what to do with. So, I thought I'd show you how to make Deviled Eggs.

 I'm one of those people that actually make Deviled Eggs a few times a year. I don't do anything fancy like adding shrimp, I just make the "basic" Deviled Egg because I think the majority of people who see a deviled egg are expecting only that. 

They are fairly easy to make, once they are peeled. I have tried every trick I've read about the "easy" way to peel eggs. I've used fresh ones, older ones, chilled them, left them warm. The bottomline is...sometimes they peel easy and I LOVE making them. Other times, they completely SUCK to peel and I tolerate making them.

 It does make it worth your frustration on those hard peeling days because everyone is excited to see them. One of my friends told me it reminded him of being a kid and his Mom making them. And, I'll be honest, my daughter actually likes to make them so she is pretty much the deviled egg maker in our house now.

Deviled Eggs was not something I liked until a few years ago, I still don't "love" them but I've learned to like them. See there is hope for my fussy kids;)

So, let's get started.
Dozen Hard Boiled Eggs
1/2 - 1 C Miracle Whip
2 t Yellow Mustard
Pepper to taste
Paprika

Put your eggs in a saucepot, cover with cold water and bring to a hard boil. That means there are LOTS of bubbles going on. Cover with a tight lid and turn off the heat. Set your timer for 10 minutes and leave the eggs alone..no peeking. When the timer beeps, put the pot in the sink and turn on the cold water. Run the cold water for a couple of minutes. Let the eggs sit in the cold water, either in your sink or in the fridge until the eggs have cooled down. One of the theories is the colder the egg the easier to peel, well I've explained that above so I'll leave it up to you to decide.

Peel your eggs, there is this fine layer on the egg that is attached to the shell for the most part, as you're peeling you will notice it...make sure you get that off or your egg will be a bit tough to the bite. Rinse to make sure you have to shell left on the egg. Set on paper towel and go to the next one. I typically plan that at least one egg is not going to peel pretty and I'll just be using the yolk. If that doesn't happen..BONUS:)

Slice your eggs in half, I like to use a serrated edge knife because it seems to cut easier. Dump your yolks in a bowl, put whites on a plate. After you've got all the yolks in the bowl, get a fork and give them a good mash. Make sure you don't have any big pieces, you want nice smooth filling and big pieces will turn into lumps when you add the Miracle Whip. After you have the yolks mashed, add 1/2 C Miracle Whip, 2 t mustard and a couple of shakes of pepper. Give it a stir. You are going to need about another 1/4 C of Miracle Whip to make it nice and light so add that now. Taste it, do you want more Miracle Whip or pepper or mustard? Add it now.

Ok, now you have options. If you have a cake decorating bag and a star tip, I recommend that because it's the prettiest. You can also just use a spoon and spoon the yolk filling into the egg whites. Or you can put the yolk filling into a ziploc, I would recommend a gallon size. Spoon all the filling into one corner. Cut the corner off..HOLD ON...cut a very small piece off the corner. You can always cut it bigger but you can't make it smaller if you go crazy;) What you want is an opening big enough to squirt the filling into the egg without it blobbing out and making a mess. Does that make sense. I hope so because I don't have a photo, sorry.

Fill the middle of your eggs, you'll probably have more filling than eggs and that's ok. Sprinkle with Paprika if you wish to make them look a little prettier and you're done. Put them in the fridge for about an hour, not more than 6 to chill. OK, you can make them a day before but they can sometimes get a little squishy so if you do that, put a paper towel under the eggs to help with that.
We're gonna pretend this is a dozen. Cold water and eggs on high heat.
Here's the start of the boil, wait until it's really bubbling before you cover and turn off the heat.
Cut your eggs in half like this.
Here are your yolks.

Mash them up really well with a fork.

Add your Miracle Whip, Mustard and pepper. The filling should be thick enough to stick to a spoon but not so thick that it doesn't taste creamy in your mouth..hope that makes sense.
Fill your eggs. These were done with a large star tip. If you don't have one, not a problem.
Sprinkle with Paprika and you're done.

No comments: