Search This Blog

Monday, April 15, 2013

Breakfast Sandwich

I worked at a place called The Sandwich Factory back in the day.  Not my favorite job I might add because the customers kinda sucked. 

At any rate, we made a breakfast sandwich that consisted of a scrambled egg microwaved in a bowl or cup for a minute.  I thought it was kind of a slick trick but it also kinda grossed me out and I'm not sure why.  I worked there for almost a year and I never tasted one.

Flash forward 25 years, wait, what? 

25 years!  I'm not that old!!

Anyhoo....flash forward some years and thanks to their father, my children have decided that Bruegger's breakfast sandwiches are the thing to eat after church.  Did I mention that they are $5 each and Max can eat two?  Did I mention it's bacon, cheese and a microwaved egg on a bagel!!  Ok, I can't prove the microwaved egg but it sure looks pretty similar to the eggs from back in the day.  So, I decided to give it a whirl at home where it would cost $5 to make 6 of them and the result..the kids loved them!

Here's what you'll need

1 Bagel ~ fresh, refrigerator or toasted, your choice
2 slices of bacon ~ this can be made ahead of time and kept in fridge for easy assembly.
1 slice American Cheese ~ you can get fancy but my kids like good old cheese slices for this
1 Egg
Cooking Spray

Spray small microwavable bowl with cooking spray.  The one I used is about the size of my palm.  Crack egg, sprinkle with salt and pepper, whisk and throw in the microwave for 1 minute (you might have to adjust cooking time for your microwave) 

I toasted the bagel because they weren't fresh.  Sprayed a little spray butter on it.  Put bacon, cheese and topped with egg.  Cut, serve and put your money back in your pocket:)

You can use any kind of meat or cheese and if you really want to get crazy you could use an English muffin!

Personally, I'd throw some spinach on here too but this is "my" kid friendly today.

 
Here's how it looks coming out of the microwave.  That will be our little secret:)



Yum!

Seriously, how quick and easy was that!

No comments: