Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Thai Chicken Curry

My friend Lisa gave me this recipe.  She hadn't tried it but thought that it sounded like something I would like and it was "lite" so that was an added bonus. 

Since I kinda had the stuff I needed in the house, I thought I'd give it a go and it was good.  I would have seasoned a bit differently and will add that in the recipe below.  It was only 6 points per serving too.  That's a great number to work with!!

What you'll need:

2 t Olive Oil
1 4-oz jar of RED curry paste
1 T Tumeric
1/3-1/2 bag baby Carrots chopped
1 medium Onion chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper chopped
3 Medium/Large Potatoes cut into bite size pieces
2 Large Chicken Breasts cut into bite size pieces
15 oz can Lite Coconut Milk
1 1/2 C Chicken Broth or water

Heat oil in wok or large pot over medium heat.  Add curry paste and tumeric and stir around for about a minute.  Add carrots, onion and peppers.  Season with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. 

Add potatoes, chicken, coconut milk and 1 1/2 C broth.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until pototoes and chicken are cooked.  Taste as you go, I felt that I needed another sprinkling of salt.  About 20-30 minutes.  It isn't needed but you could serve over rice.  The 6 points is without.

Makes 5 servings.

A couple of notes...the recipe actually called for yellow curry paste.  I only had red so that's why I added the Tumeric. 

I chopped the carrots into 1/4" rounds and they still had a little crunch.  I was ok with that but if you aren't, chop thinner. 

For the chicken, I chopped into a bite size piece and just before I was going to dump it in, I panicked and chopped each piece in half again.  I was worried that it wouldn't be cooked but no worries, bite size pieces will cook through in the time allowed.

I felt the recipe was lacking in salt and that's why I suggested chicken broth for the next time.  If you want to make this vegetarian, just use vegetable broth and maybe garbonzo beans instead of chicken.

Here's your carrots, onions and peppers sweating it out with your curry paste and tumeric.

 
Add everything else, bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer.  Stir occasionally and it's done when your chicken and potatoes are. 
 
And after about 30 minutes, this is done.  Yummy! 

No comments: