Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Oven Brown Rice

My cousin who is a very good personal cook posted an Alton Brown recipe for brown rice and it was just too easy not to try, although I changed just a bit.  The result?  Fabulous.  It wasn't sticky, it was perfectly cooked, it wasn't on my stove top needing any of my attention and although the rice was good by itself, I added 1 T Sesame Oil, 1 1/2 T Soy Sauce, 1 t garlic powder, 1/2 t white pepper and two scrambled eggs and I had SUPER easy fried rice that my kids gobbled up.

I'll never make brown rice any other way!

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups brown rice, medium or short grain
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 2 Chicken Bouillon cubes or vegetable if you want vegetarian
Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Bring the water and bouillon to a boil.  I did it in the microwave but you could do it on the stove in a saucepan. Once the water boils, pour it over the rice, stir to combine, and cover the dish tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil, I didn't have "heavy-duty" so I used two pieces of regular. Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork. Serve immediately.

OR add what I said above and have fried rice!

Here is the photo fresh from the oven. 

No comments: