Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chicken Curry

I made my quick chicken curry a few months back but after eating at an Indian restaurant, I wanted something that tasted slow cooked with ALL the true flavors a good curry has.

I found the recipe here and had to change it up a little bit because I couldn't find one of the things and couple others..well I wasn't spending $10 per spice when I thought the improvising would work. I shopped at Cub and everything I used could be found there.

This is not for the weak of taste buds. It's a slow heat that rises as you eat. I love spicy dishes so this was two thumbs up from me. It will feed a crowd and I have no doubt should freeze well~I didn't have any leftovers to freeze because I shared with friends.

3 lbs boneless, skinless Chicken breast cut into half or thirds
1 large Yellow Onion cut into chunks
2 Tomatoes, cut into 4 pieces each
10 cloves Garlic
3 inches of fresh Ginger, peeled
1/2 T Salt
1 T Turmeric
1 1/2 T Garam Masala
1/4 C Vegetable Oil
1 C plain Yogurt ~ I used low fat
1 T Chili Powder
1 t Cinnamon
4 Cloves
4 Serrano chilies, cut lengthwise
1/2 C fresh Cilantro

Put Chicken into crockpot.

In food processor put Onion, Tomatoes, Garlic, Salt and Turmeric. Blend for a minute or two. Pour into a bowl and add, Garam Masala, Oil, Yogurt, Chili Powder and cinnamon. Mix together and pour over chicken. Throw chilis and cloves on top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Remove chilis and cloves if you can find them. I took the chicken out with a slotted spoon and chopped into bite size pieces and put back into the crockpot but that was just a personal preference because I like my chicken saturated with sauce. The chicken was fall apart tender so you could skip that step if you wish. I served with Basmati rice and the left overs were served with brown rice...both were tasty.

Serve over Basamati or Brown Rice and top with cilantro. YUMMY!!

I cut the chicken in thirds
Chop the onion and throw in food processor
How to break the garlic free...use your large chef knife (that's your biggest knife), press down on the garlic, the shell of the garlic pops off
This is how much ginger I used, make sure you peel and chop
Everything ready in the food processor. Give it a whirl for a couple minutes
Out of the food processor
Mix the Garam Masala, Oil, Yogurt, Chili Powder and cinnamon in with a whisk
I split the peppers but left the seeds for the heat
Throw the peppers and cloves on top, cover and crock
Dinner is served

No comments: