Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Breakfast Casserole

I found this recipe here and changed it a bit based on comments. I was really skeptical that eggs could cook for 10-12 hours in a crock pot and I was correct, the recipe was done in 5 or at least that's when I checked it. I think 4 hours would have actually worked even better.

It was very tasty and I'd make it again. I would put it all together, put it in the fridge and have the first person up turn it on. You can also use whatever cheese you like or vegi's~we thought mushrooms would have been a good addition.

32 oz bag of frozen Hashbrowns~I forgot these at home so I used a bag of refrigerator ones and they worked fine
Green Pepper chopped
12 Eggs
1 C Milk ~ I used skim
3/4 brick of Pepper Jack ~ shredded or sliced thin
1/2 brick of Cheddar ~ Shredded or sliced thin
1 package Turkey sausage chopped and cooked ~ or 1 lb breakfast meat, cooked and chopped
2 t Thyme
1 t Salt
1 t Pepper
1 t Greek Seasoning

Spray crockpot with cooking spray. We're going 3 layers here:

Layer one..1/3 hashbrowns, 1/3 meat, 1/3 green peppers, 1/2 of the Pepper Jack, 1/2 t Salt, 1/2 t pepper and 1 t Thyme.

1/3 hashbrowns, 1/3 meat, 1/3 green peppers, Cheddar cheese, 1t Greek Seasoning

1/3 hashbrowns, 1/3 meat, 1/3 green peppers, 1/2 of the Pepper Jack, 1/2 t Salt, pepper and 1 t Thyme.

Pat down. Whisk eggs and milk until combined and pour over top. Crock on low for 4-5 hours.

Sorry, I don't have a photo. I made it up at a cabin and forgot my camera but I promise it looks like any egg bake you've ever eaten.

No comments: