Search This Blog

Monday, February 14, 2011

Molten Chocolate Cake

Big day today...Valentine's Day. I was trying to think of a fun thing to post but then I thought, what would I want today and the answer is Molten Chocolate Cake. Truthfully, I could eat this cake EVERY day.

I have posted this recipe before but it is worth repeating because it is SO yummy! It is an awesome and easy way to let someone know you love them or it makes a crappy day better. I orginally found the recipe here.

Here's what you'll need.
4 squares of Semi-Sweet Chocolate
Stick of butter
1 C Powdered Sugar
2 Eggs
2 Egg Yolks
6 T Flour

Put the butter and chocolate in a bowl. I actually use a Large Mixing bowl so I can pour the batter. It's not necessary, just makes it a bit easier. Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave. I only needed a minute to melt the butter and make the chocolate soft.

The chocolate will not be completely melted so you need to stir it around in the butter until it's completely melted and incorporated. See how shiny it is.

My trusty assistant and daughter Claire thought that I should show all of you how to separate an egg. Crack the egg over a cup or bowl. Tilt one side so the yolk goes into half of the shell and the white slides into the bowl.

Flip the egg into the other half of the shell, getting rid of all the white. Hope that makes sense?? Claire thought it did, lol;) Add the rest of the ingredients and make sure it's mixed well.

Here are the custard cups. This recipe only makes enough for 4 of this size. Spray well with cooking spray, you don't want them to stick. Place the cups on a cookie sheet.

Equally fill the custard cups. These are ready for the oven, are you getting excited?? Did you taste the batter?? YUM.

They take 14 minutes at 425 in my oven, should be obviously set around the edges, lightly browned. Let stand one minute and then invert on a plate.

Claire thought you needed to see what happens when you cut into the cake, yep, that's hot fudge that comes out of the middle. Can you hear the angels singing??!

We have either ice cream or whipped cream on the side. Unfortunately, neither photograph well. Trust me, the cream is worth it!! This cake will SO make your bad day better. And, if you're having a good day...BONUS!

To make the whipped cream

Small container of Whipped Cream
1 t Vanilla extract

Whip it until it's firming up. Add 3/4 Powdered Sugar and whip until stiff. It's PURE heaven.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

No comments: