Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine Eve

I just finished up the sugar cookies and cake balls for all our family and friends and as I sit here in a quiet house, I got to thinking about my favorite Valentine's day celebrations.

You would think that at my age, one of the memories would include a romantic evening with someone special because I'm pretty sure I've had them;) But, my three favorite memories are:

3. When Cody and Dylan were 2 years old, Craig and I gave their parents a night off and took them to Camp Snoopy at Mall of America. We rode rides, we ate cotton candy, we watched them run around giggling.

2. Three girlfriends and myself found ourselves single on the big night. We decided to make dinner reservations at a nice restaurant. We got dressed up and were each others dates. We had a few bottles of wine and then went dancing. I have a photo of Kristen and I from the end of the night and every time I see it I smile.

1. When I got divorced, I made a new Valentine's tradition with my kids. I let them pick where we went for dinner. I've been to Chuck E Cheese and other random restaurants but my favorite year, Max picked Hooters. Yes, Hooters. He was 8 years old I think and he thought the waitresses were pretty:) So, Alanna (her husband was out of town) and I took our kids, headed down early to have dinner, take photos with the waitresses and then went on rides at Camp Snoopy. Max still talks about it.

So if you find yourself without a plan, remember the best memories are the random ones when you have no expectations and you just let yourself be.

No comments: