Search This Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

New Driver

Yesterday was one of those days that made me feel older. The kind of day that made my stomach drop a bit and my heart hurt just a little. It wasn't anything "bad", it was a sign of growing up. Dylan passed his drivers test.

I knew it was coming, he turned 16 in July. I've let him drive me around on the roads and highways. He's reminded me several times of the big test day. I knew it was coming. And, yet that lump in my throat and the tears in my eyes came anyway when he called to tell me that he passed.

For those of you that don't know, Dylan is my nephew and practice son. He has my heart as if he were my own because his Mom has been gracious enough to share him with me from the time he was born. Every year on his birthday, I get misty. Every big moment, I get misty. And, lately, every time I look at him I swallow hard because he has grown up and there is no more denying that he is a young man. A young man who just got his license.

Congratulations D!! Be safe, no texting and always wear your seat belt!!