Search This Blog

Friday, February 25, 2011

Lemon Meringue Pie

My favorite pie is Lemon Meringue. When I was pregnant with Max I wanted to eat Lemon Meringue pie every day. The local Baker's Square was out for some bizarre reason, so I would call every morning to see if they had any. This one particular day they said they had the pie. I told them to save a piece, I was on my way. Ten minutes later when I walked in the door, this waitress admitted to selling my piece. I was NOT a happy pregnant chick.

So, I had to make my own. It's nothing fancy but it is tasty. I still haven't complete perfected my meringue, but again it works and I'm sharing the tips I've found to be helpful over the years.

What you'll need:
Prepared pie crust~I use frozen and follow the directions on the back
1 Large box of Lemon Pudding prepared~I use the kind you have to cook

3 Egg Whites
1/4 t Cream of Tarter
2/3 C Sugar

Start whipping your room temperature eggs whites in a glass or metal bowl. Add cream of tartar. Whip until foamy and starting to get stiff. Add sugar a little at a time and keep whipping. I whip mine for about 5-7 minutes. They are so stiff, they stick to the beaters. You can just leave it now until you get your pudding prepared.

Prepare your pudding, pour your hot pudding into the cooked crust. Immediately put your meringue on top. You want the hot pudding to kind of cook the bottom. Swirl with a spoon or fork and give a few peaks. Make sure all the pudding is covered or your pie will seep. Bake at 325 for about 15 minutes until meringue is golden.

Pour lemon pudding into crust
Whip, whip, whip
Nice and stiff
Put meringue on top
Swirl around
Use a fork and make peeks
Out of the oven and ready to chill

No comments: