Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lemon Muffins

I found a recipe for Lemon Bread on a baking website that I've been wanting to try. Bread is kind of hard to share with people at work so I decided to make the bread into muffins. I was a little worried because I had to poke the muffins and pour a syrup over them but it was all good. People at work LOVED them. I "liked" them, they felt like they were missing something. BUT I'm a tough sell on muffins because they aren't my favorite bread product. I would make them again just maybe with some blueberries next time.

1 1/2 C Flour
1 C Sugar
1 t Baking Powder
1/2 t Salt
2 Eggs
2/3 c Evaporated Milk
1/3 c Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 t grated lemon peel (about 1 lemon - reserve lemon for later use)

PREHEAT oven to 350°

Mix eggs, evaporated milk, oil and lemon zest together in medium bowl. Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir until just combined. Pour into sprayed muffin tins about 3/4 full. Makes 12 muffins.

BAKE for about 20 minutes (if you want to make as a loaf of bread, I think the directions said to cook for about 50 minutes) or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Using the skewer, poke numerous holes in the hot muffins, piercing all the way to the bottom, making what looks like a five dice on the top. Slowly drizzle the hot Lemon Syrup over the muffins, it was a little over under a Tablespoon per muffin. (Syrup will soak into the bread). Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cool in pan for 15 minutes; Remove muffins to wire rack to cool completely.

LEMON SYRUP:
COMBINE 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 lemon or lemon juice) in small, heavy-duty saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and a light syrup is formed.
Mix your eggs, milk and oil.
Add your dry ingredients and your zested peel. Remember not to go deep when you're zesting, meaning you don't want any of the white, just the yellow peel.
Spray your muffin pan well and fill with about 3/4 full, it uses all of the batter to make a dozen.
Kind of hard to see but I poked 5 holes that looked like a dice on top when they are fresh from the oven.
Here is the syrup you made with sugar and lemon juice. I'll be honest and tell you that I didn't stir constantly. I mixed it up and stirred occasionally until it came to a foamy boil.
Slowly pour a couple of spoonfuls over muffins trying to get into the holes. It's probably about a scant tablespoon for each muffin.
I sprinkled with powdered sugar just because I thought it made them look prettier. Cool for about 10-15 minutes. Remove from tins and cool on wire rack. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Those look delicious! Do you know that I have never zested my own lemon? :O

Christol said...

LOL Carmen. It really makes a HUGE difference.