Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

5K

In addition to playing hockey, baseball, soccer and doing a triathlon every year, my son Max also runs a couple of 5K races every year. I should further note, that he would play more sports or on multiple teams if "I" allowed it. I restrict to one sport per season..a rule he wouldn't choose but understands. To say the kid amazes me would be a HUGE understatement.

He ran his first 5K four years ago and the competitive side of him liked that it was timed so he could keep track of his progress over the years. He doesn't train, he simply has me sign him up and he goes. It really shouldn't surprise me, the kid hasn't stopped moving since he figured out how to crawl. He EXHAUSTED me as a toddler, so full of energy and life that he was hard to contain. A natural competitor who enjoys a challenge. I wish I had a 10th of his energy.

The bonus of these 5Ks and living in Minnesota is that it's hardly ever nice weather in the races he runs. Today did not disappoint, it was pouring rain and about 50 degrees. That beats the snow and 30 MPH wind a couple of years ago though.

He was smiling when he finished, his cheering squad..aka me, was freezing her wet, soggy butt off but smiling and yelling for him as he crossed the finish line. Every time he finishes a race I get teary, my baby is growing up, I am catching a glimpse of him as a man..he looks at me and gives me that look that only your kid can give you...the combination look of "ahhh Mom it's ok and what the heck are you teary for" and then says, "where's the food"? Thanks for my moment buddy;)

Official times will not be posted for 24 hours but today he finished with an unofficial IPOD time of 27.59, beating last years time by a full minute. WOO HOO MAX...You are AMAZING and I love you!!
Here he is waiting for the starting horn...I completely spaced taking a photo at the end like I usually do because I was soaked from my toes to my head.