Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Fried Rice

Ok, this one I will admit I have not perfected but it still tasted good. Another thing that my typically NON carb eating son (where he came from is still a mystery) requested for leftovers. I almost fell over when he asked but just smiled and said, "I'll heat that right up".

I added some shrimp sauce on top and could barely tell the difference.

4 C cooked White Rice, chilled
1 Carrot minced..I whirl them around in the food processor most days
1 bunch Green Onion, chopped or 1/2 medium onion that took a spin in the food processor
2 cloves garlic minced
6 T Butter
2-3 t Garlic Powder
3 Eggs
1-2 T Sesame Oil
2-4 T Soy Sauce
Pepper and Salt to taste

Put your carrot, onion, garlic and 1 T butter into pan, season with salt and pepper.  Saute for a couple of minutes. Add your rice and rest of the butter. Sprinkle with garlic powder. Add Sesame Oil and 1 T Soy Sauce. Fold around a minute or two heating the rice up, add 1 more Tablespoon Soy sauce. You want the rice very lightly colored brown with the soy sauce. Push the rice to the side and throw in your eggs. Scramble around with some salt and pepper. When the eggs are a lose scramble, fold into the rice. Give it a taste and see if you need salt or pepper. Be careful adding too much soy sauce, it can take over the rice. As can the sesame oil. It's not a bad taste if you add to much of either, it's just not the taste I was going for.
Wash and chop your scallions.
Chop the scallions up.

Yep, I used the real deal for this recipe too.
Peel and slice your carrots down the middle. Dice these babies up nice and small.
Like this.
Saute your carrots, onion, garlic and 1 T butter for a couple of minutes. Add your rice, soy sauce and sesame oil and saute for a few more minutes to heat the rice through. Push the rice to the side.
Add your eggs. Season eggs with salt and pepper and scramble around. When they are a loose scramble, cook for another 30 seconds or so from this stage...mix in with the rice.
I added sesame seeds in this version but completely NOT necessary. Taste for flavor, add salt and pepper as needed. Also want to note that this is the photo when I added too much soy sauce. Your finished product SHOULD be lighter and this recipe reflects that. So, don't look at this photo and say, "my rice isn't that dark"..it shouldn't be. It doesn't taste bad if it is..it just tastes better if you follow the measurements in this recipe in my opinion.

No comments: