Search This Blog

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Rice Krispy Bars

I know what you are thinking..."rice krispy bars, is she kidding"? Well I happen to know that not everyone knows how to make them. I further know that a lot of people don't realize that with 5 minutes you can make a decent dessert/snack for your kids. I also know that sometimes we forget the tasty, easy treats we enjoyed as a kid and because we can "buy" them, why would we make them. I'll tell ya why. Because we can make them for a fraction of the cost. They taste better and I believe better for you without all the extra crap packaged treats add. And, the smiles you get from adults and kids...well it's all good.

So, I'll bring you something more interesting with the next recipe but for now, take 5 minutes and make something easy and accept the kisses from your thankful kids.

Rice Krispy Bars

1/4 C Butter
1 bag Mini Marshmallows
6-7 C Rice Krispy Cereal~generic completely works

Put butter and marshmallows in a bowl large enough to accomodate the cereal AND is microwave safe. Microwave for 2 minutes. Give the marshmallows a stir to make sure they are melted. (If you'd like to make them a color..say for Valentine's Day..add a few drops of food coloring now). Add cereal and combine. Press into greased cake pan. DONE!

OR if you want to really have your kids LOVE you.

Melt
1/2 bag of Chocolate Chips
1/2 bag of Butterscotch Chips

Microwave for a minute at a time, stirring. Takes about 2 1/2 minutes in my microwave. When melted and combined. Frost your bars. Let them cool and serve. Chocolate always makes it better in my opinion;)
Spray your pan first so you're ready to go.
Dump your marshmallows in microwave safe bowl with butter. The butter can be straight from the fridge.
Here is your marshmallows and butter all melted and ready for the cereal.

This is where I forgot to take the photo of me mixing in the cereal. I like to move fast and also I spray my hands with cooking spray to press them firmly into the pan. My trusty assistant was busy doing a book report so that's why you have no photos right here;)

Chips ready for the microwave.
Melted and ready to spread.
Spread it on. Yummy...love chocolate!
Bet you didn't realize what you could get done in 5 minutes:) Enjoy.

1 comment:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Yum!!! You know my krispie treats never turn out right. They're so simple to make but mine never seem to "set up" right.