Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Easter Eggs

I need to pull out the Easter baskets and plastic eggs and it got me thinking of our weird little tradition for coloring eggs. When I was growing up, only my Dad liked hard boiled eggs. So, my smart thinking Mom had us color raw eggs. Our visiting Aunt didn't find it too funny when she sat down to crack herself an egg and had raw yolk in her lap but we got a chuckle out of it;)

So, at any rate, I wanted to let all of you know that you CAN color raw eggs and nothing happens to them. I boil one dozen and leave the other raw. Just make sure you know which are which and if they want to write on them, make sure they use the hard boiled ones for that. My kids have been coloring raw eggs since they were little and even a 2 year old has yet to break one..so I promise it's all good. AND, the kids love it because there are more to color.

Also, for perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs. Start with the eggs in cold water. Bring to a full boil~that means the water is really bubbling. Cover and turn off the heat for 10 minutes and no icky greenish yolks. Have fun!

No comments: