Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Pan Fried Tilapia

I'm trying to eat healthier so I went back to a tried and true trick my Mom taught me, pan fried but without the calories. I ate this quite a bit while I did Weight Watchers a few years ago. My daughter doesn't like fish of any kind, not even breaded, doesn't taste like fish..fish sticks but my son will eat "some" and he actually likes it done this way.

Tilapia is a very non fishy tasting white fish that cooks fast. It's also a pretty inexpensive fish. It takes you about 6 minutes from start to finish with this recipe..how's that for fast and easy?

1/2 lb of Tilapia cut in half
Greek Seasoning
Spray butter

I cut the fish in half because of how I'm going to cook it. I want firm, even pressure on the whole piece and this works best for me. So, cut the fish in half, season both sides with your favorite seasoning. Tonight I used my favorite Greek Seasoning but Cajun is great as is just some salt, pepper and garlic. Totally depends on the flavor you're looking for. Spray your fish with spray butter (if you don't have spray butter you could brush with some olive oil), put sprayed side down in a non stick pan. Spray the top. Put a piece of aluminum foil on top and then put a HEAVY pan on top of that. I use my trusty cast iron for the job. Turn your heat to about a 6. Cook for 4-5 minutes, depends on how thick your fish is, this piece was on the thicker side for Tilapia. Remove pan and foil, it should pretty much look cooked on top. Flip your fish, put foil back on, pan back on top of that and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Done!
Here is my package of fish.
Cut the fish in half, season with your favorite seasoning and spray with your spray butter.
This is the brand I use. Others taste the same but their sprayer doesn't EVER clog so you get to use the whole bottle. Spray butter adds NO calories. Spray butter is your friend when you do Weight Watchers.
Put the fish in the pan butter side down, spray top.
Add a piece of foil. Don't be stingy with the foil, this will help keep the steam in and cooks the fish.
Heavy pan on top. I think they sell weighed things to do this but remember I'm not a fan of extra stuff in my kitchen. You can also skip the pan altogether and get similar results, I just find it to crisp up more evenly if I use the heavy pan on top.
This is ready to flip. Make sure you use a turner that is big enough. Make sure you get under the fish so you don't lose the crispy crust you just made. Flip it over.
See how crispy and yummy this looks! Put the foil back, pan back and cook another couple of minutes to get the other side to look equally as good.
Here it is with the yummy crispy crust and cooked to perfection. NOW..if I was doing Weight Watchers I would have had this with some vegetables or a nice big salad. I am not doing Weight Watchers so I had some of the kids Sesame Noodles on the side

No comments: