Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Asparagus

Did I sense a crinkle of your nose when you read the title? That used to be my reaction when someone offered asparagus but that was because the only way I had ever seen asparagus it had come from a can or was frozen and over cooked. Not appetizing, not tasty. But then a friend of mine grilled some..oh my goodness..I found something that I not only liked but loved. I realized that fresh asparagus grilled, boiled for a minute or stir fried is very GOOD and I seriously could eat it everyday and it's versatile. I like mine with a little bit of a crunch but you can adjust your cooking time accordingly. Today we're going to grill it on the grill pan that I just took steaks from. I grilled it for about 3-4 minutes, if you were making on a real grill, only a minute or two because a grill is hotter.

One other thing, don't let those bunches at the grocery store scare you. If you don't want that much, take the amount you want and put it in a bag. You are not required to buy that big bunch, unless you're at Target, they don't weigh asparagus, it is sold in bunches as are a few of their vegetables for the price listed. Another tip is that if it's not firm stalks, not too tasty. Really big stalks can also be stringy, so buy with care.

All you need is
Bunch of fresh Asparagus
drizzle of Olive Oil
Kosher Salt
Crank of Fresh Pepper

Wash, break off bottom, drizzle with oil and toss. Sprinkle with salt and a few cranks of pepper. Throw on a hot grill pan, turn a few times. Cook for 3-4 minutes and serve.
You don't need to break off much of the bottom and you could "cut" it but I've found that by snapping off the ends, you get the hard and grainy ends. It will snap where it needs to.
Drizzle with Olive oil, toss and season with salt and pepper.
Throw on a grill pan or on your grill. The added flavor from the steaks is a bonus;)
You could put a fresh squeeze of lemon juice on top before serving but it tastes just fine as is. Hope you like it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

love love love asparagus! This is pretty much how I make it too! Of course, I am the only person who will eat it!