Search This Blog

Thursday, March 18, 2010

NERD cupcakes

Are you looking for something OVER the top SWEET? Are you looking for something fun to make with or for your kids? A NERD Cupcake will fit both criteria. I got the idea because my niece picked 3 colors, purple, pink and green, that she wanted her cupcakes to be for her birthday. I've made cakes multiple colors but never cupcakes so I wasn't sure if it would work.

Luckily, my daughter had a school dance and I had to send something for the bake sale and it was two days before the party. I've seen the bake sale table at previous events and I thought it needed a little FUN added so the bright NEON colors worked great. I did NERD cupcakes for the dance and left the NERDS out for my nieces party because my niece didn't request them. The color scheme was the same and they sold out immediately at the dance and my niece smiled from ear to ear when she saw hers..so I call that success!

Did I mention EASY success:)

You'll need to make one white cake mix according to box directions.

Equally divide batter among 3 bowls. Mix in food coloring and divide one large box of Nerds between the 3 bowls and mix. Bake according to directions and frost with the same three colors of butter cream frosting. You'll find the frosting recipe with the sugar cookies I made in February.
Here is your three colors of cake mix.
Add your NERDS
Get your cupcakes pan ready with the liners.
Pick a color and put a tablespoon of batter in each cupcake liner, grab another color and repeat. You can layer the colors but I tried to put one tablespoon on one side and another color on the other side. Doesn't really matter, three color cupcakes are fun no matter how they turn out. Bake according to package directions.
This is what the cupcakes look like after they are baked.
Another view of the baked cupcakes. Now, get out three frosting bags or use a knife and smear on three different colors of frosting. Top with more NERD candy.
Time to hit the bake sale table.
Or a Happy Birthday Girl's tummy:)