Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

Roasted Vegi and Wild Rice Soup

Alanna and I went out to lunch and decided to share a sandwich so we could get a bowl of the soup of the day, Chicken Wild Rice. I don't know what comes to your mind but to ours...creamy, yummy comfort soup.

We got something very similar to this recipe instead. A spicy, sassy wild rice soup. We were both completely disappointed at the time, but afterward I found myself craving it. I tried my best to recreate since I had some left over wild rice, Alanna claims I was successful so I hope you enjoy.

I am going to put everything you need, so you'll have your grocery list and then how it all played out.

6 C Chicken Broth ~ I actually had homemade turkey broth I used
1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic
1/2 C Carrots minced
2 stalks Celery minced
1/2 t Cayenne
few cranks of the pepper mill
1 T Tastefully Simple Garlic Pepper ~ if you don't have this, just use Garlic Powder
1 - 1 1/2 C chopped cooked Turkey or Chicken
1/2 Red Pepper chopped
1/2 Green Pepper chopped
3 cloves Garlic minced
1/2 medium Onion chopped
1/2 Zucchini chopped ~ or use whole and skip yellow squash
1/2 Yellow Squash chopped
1/4 lb of fresh Green Beans snapped into bite size pieces
Handful of Asparagus, snap off the tops and use those only. Use the stalks for a stir fry
1-2 t Olive Oil
1/2 to 1 t Red Pepper Flakes
2 - 2 1/2 C cooked Wild Rice or Brown Rice would work too.
Couple handfuls of fresh spinach chopped

And, this is how you'll use it all

6 C Chicken Broth ~ I actually had homemade turkey broth I used
1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes with Garlic
1/2 C Carrots minced
2 stalks Celery minced
1/2 t Cayenne
few cranks of the pepper mill
1 T Tastefully Simple Garlic Pepper ~ if you don't have this, just use Garlic Powder
1 - 1 1/2 C chopped cooked Turkey or Chicken

Get this all on the stove and simmer at a medium heat for about 30 minutes.

1/2 Zucchini chopped
1/2 Yellow Squash chopped
1/2 Red Pepper chopped
1/2 Green Pepper chopped
3 cloves Garlic minced
1/2 medium Onion chopped
1/4 lb of fresh Green Beans snapped into bite size pieces
Handful of Asparagus, snap off the tops and use those only. Use the stalks for a stir fry

Toss with a slight drizzle of Olive Oil, maybe a couple teaspoons. Throw into cake pan, sprinkle with 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes and roast for 10-12 minutes at 450. Dump into soup pot.

Add 2-2 1/2 C cooked Wild Rice or Brown Rice would work too.

Cook for another 10 minutes just to blend the flavors. Add a couple handfuls of chopped fresh spinach, give it a stir and serve.
Makes 6 bowls.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yummy! I hadn't thought about roasting the veggies. I think I will make this one!