Search This Blog

Friday, January 14, 2011

Gluten Free Brownies

I was looking around at other blogs and this recipe grabbed my attention. Her title was Gluten Free Black Bean Brownies from Katie at Intentionally Katie. I have a friend whose sister is Gluten Free so I'm always looking out for something for her so I thought I'd try it.

I could not believe that adding black beans and very little oil would create a decent brownie. To say I was skeptical was an understatement.

I made them quietly in the kitchen, tasted the batter, which was good and put them in the oven. I frosted them with my kids favorite cooked frosting and served to the toughest critics on the block simply stating it was a new recipe.

Claire said, "they were a little too moist but I liked them". Max asked for another one. I thought they were good but I'm more of a chewy brownie girl, these are more cake like because of the texture/moistness. People at work liked them and asked for the recipe.

I don't think I will ever tell the kids that they contain black beans, they can figure that out on their own. You also don't need to frost them if you don't want to. They tasted good without, we just like any excuse to eat fudge frosting at our house.

So, give them a try and tell me what you think.

1 can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
2 Eggs
1 T Olive Oil
2 T Apple Sauce (or 2 T more Olive Oil)~I used Apple Sauce
1/4 C Cocoa powder
pinch of Salt
1/2 t Baking Powder
1 t Vanilla
3/4 C Sugar
1/2 C Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Put eggs, olive oil, vanilla and apple sauce in bottom of blender. Add beans and liquify, you shouldn't see any chunks. Stop and add the rest of the ingredients and I pulsed until it was all incorporated. Pour batter into greased 8x8 pan, sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until tester put in the middle comes out clean. Cool, frost and serve.

I will add that you could not serve these warm, they fell apart when trying to take them out of the pan (my kids like warm brownies with ice cream so they had to wait another 15 minutes)

Fudge Frosting

2 T Butter
2 T Milk
1 T Cocoa
Bring to a boil. Add
1 t Vanilla
3/4 C Powdered Sugar
Whisk until smooth and pour on top of brownies.


Looks like regular brownie mix to me
Ready for the oven
The kids LOVED them

No comments: