Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Daffodil Days


I am a firm believer in giving back. Volunteering can take a small portion of time but make a huge impact. What I don't think people realize is how easy some things are, so let me explain an easy one that I do.

Daffodil Days for the American Cancer Society. The thing that I think is absolutely the coolest about Daffodil Days...$9 of the $10 you donated goes directly to American Cancer Society's education, patient programs and research.


3 weeks before order is due...I send out a mass email where I work, asking who would like to purchase Daffodils and explaining a bit about what Daffodil Days is.

DAFFY GRAM
Don’t miss your chance to make someone smile with a bunch of daffodils. Drop a note and check in my box by Feb XX at noon to order your bunch. $10 for a bunch of 10 or $15 for a bunch and a vase. Delivery is March XX. Checks payable to American Cancer Society. Thanks.

2 weeks before, pretty similar email goes out.

1 week before, same thing but with DON'T MISS YOUR CHANCE TO ORDER

1 day before final reminder.

Staff drops off checks in my in box.

I place the order and a month later the daffodils are delivered and I deliver them to the people who ordered. Have you ever delivered flowers? Even when people ordered the flowers for themselves, they smile when you walk in the room to deliver. What a great day for me!

From beginning to end it takes me about an hour and in the process...I gave back to my community, I raised money for cancer, I volunteered.

If you're interested in an opportunity like this, check out www.cancer.org/daffodils

No comments: