Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower Soup

I saw this recipe on Pioneer Woman awhile back and thought about making it. But, I'm not a huge fan of cooked cauliflower. I heard somewhere that if you roast cauliflower that even your toughest critic will eat it. I didn't bother giving it to my toughest critics. We all know that they don't like soup and cooked vegetables are a huge stretch so I saved myself the aggravation, made a half batch and shared with Kristen and Alanna.

I also altered a bit so I'll post the recipe the way "I" did it and if you would rather make it Pioneer Woman style, you can do that too.

Here is what you'll need:

1 head Cauliflower, cored and chopped
3 cloves Garlic minced
drizzle of Olive Oil~couple teaspoons
1 large Carrot minced or handful of baby carrots minced
1 stalk Celery minced
1/2 Medium Onion minced
3 C Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 T Pepper
1 T Parsley ~ I only had dried
1/4 C butter
1 C Milk~I used skim because that's what I had
4 T Flour

And, here is how you'll use your ingredients.

1 head Cauliflower, cored and chopped
3 cloves Garlic minced
drizzle and toss with Olive Oil~couple teaspoons

You all know how I feel about sizes of vegetables in my soup, not too big, not too small. Cut according to the size "you" like. Put in a cake pan and roast at 450 for about 20 minutes.

While that's roasting...

1 Carrot minced
1 stalk Celery minced
1/2 Medium Onion minced

Toss into a soup pot with a teaspoon of Olive Oil. Toss around on low for a few minutes, allowing the vegetables to soften. Add 3 C Chicken or vegetable Broth and teaspoon of pepper and let it simmer until the cauliflower is done cooking. Add the cauliflower and let simmer together while you prepare the next step.

Melt 1/4 C butter in sauce pan.

Mix together
1 C Milk~I used skim because that's what I had
4 T Flour
Whisk together with the melted butter until thickened. Pour into soup. Add 1 T parsley. Heat through and serve.

Here is the chopped cauliflower
Roasted
Carrots and celery sweating it out. You'll be adding Chicken or Vegi broth next
This is what the butter, flour and milk will look like when it's ready to add to the broth and vegis. It's a bit thick, kind of like a thin milk shake. Pour this into the broth. Add a tablespoon of parsley and heat through
Yum

No comments: