Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Walking Fry Bread Taco

We go to Pow Wow on our reservation every summer. One of the things we look forward to is the fry bread. So, last week when I made cinnamon rolls I had some left over frozen bread dough and thought I'd see if my kids could tell the difference. I shaped the dough, threw it in some grease and put it on the table. My nephew took one bite and said, "mix or frozen"?

"Frozen", I admitted with the wind knocked from my sails.

He shrugged and said, "It's still decent".

Claire asked why we weren't having tacos? Fry Bread Tacos are one of her favorite things. Fry Bread tacos are exactly like regular tacos except you use fry bread instead of a tortilla or shell. "Walking" tacos is when they chop up the piece of bread and mix with the toppings.

I decided to use the last loaf of bread dough and make Walking tacos for dinner and with the addition of taco toppings, it was even harder to taste that the bread wasn't what your Native Grandma would make. Maybe I'll tackle the real fry bread another time, but until then..this works.

Taco meat
1 lb ground beef (I usually use ground turkey)
1/2 small onion diced
2 cloves garlic
4 t Chili Powder
2 t Cumin
1 t Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper if you're feeling Sassy
Throw the meat, onions and garlic in a pan, salt and pepper to taste. When the meat is about 1/2 cooked, add your other seasoning. It seems to blend better if you do it now, especially true if you are using the ground turkey.

Now let's make our bread. They don't have to be exact, make your circles and let them set a moment while the grease heats up
give it a stretch before placing in the grease...I always use Crisco for frying, it holds up better than oil
Nice and golden brown
Chop up your bread
Add your favorite taco toppingsClaire said, "Just like Pow Wow...only better". I love my daughter:)

2 comments:

~mj~ said...

Looks delish!! What kind of oil do you use to fry your bread?

Christol said...

I edited the post Missi to tell you that I use Crisco. Oil tends to break down and leave stuff greasy. I ALWAYS use Crisco when frying.