Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mom/Child Date

My Mom did this cool thing with us growing up. Mom/Child day, she would typically take us shopping and out to lunch. It was our time with just her. I still do it often because I enjoy her company.

My Dad used to take me for walks down my Minnehaha Falls and then to Bridgeman's for an Ice Cream Soda when I was little or to the Twins games. I didn't watch much of the games but I can tell you that they had great cups for stacking, the cotton candy was always fresh, John Rhoden could tell you anything and everything about baseball and I liked hanging out with my Dad.

I didn't realize how much I enjoyed those traditions until I was an adult and was talking to other people. And, I realized that not every one's parents did that with them. Not everyone took a few hours out of their life to spend with just them and I realized how lucky I was.

So when I had kids, I continued the tradition of Mom/Child Dates.

When my son was about 3 and I was pregnant with his sister, we went on our first date. We went to a movie, just the two of us. I gave him the money to pay for the tickets and popcorn. He was taught to open my car door and to hold the door open and let me walk through first. Thanking each other for the nice evening. His little chest was puffed up that he had a nice date with Mommy.

We've continued the tradition throughout the years but now it's usually going to a MN Wild game, shocker I know;) I like to believe that in addition to having individual attention from Mom, he is also going to be a well trained "date" by the time he is completely grown and the girls will be thanking me.

His sister and I started Mom/Daughter dates when she was probably around 2. We go shopping, we go to lunch, we have pedicures, we go to movies or plays. Claire doesn't care what we do, she just sincerely enjoys the one-on-one attention. We invite Nana along sometimes for a three generation date once in awhile too.

Her Dad has also taken her on a few dates and he shows up with flowers, he opens her car door, he treats her with complete respect and listens to what she has to tell him. Claire will know what she is supposed to be treated like when she goes out for the first time on a date.

So go have some fun! Take your children on a date!

No comments: